Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A GREAT DAY IN SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE

Yesterday was one of the best days I've had in San Miguel de Allende. Bob and I were invited to play golf at Club de Golf Malanquin. This was the first time we have played in Mexico. I haven't played in over 15 months and for Bob it has been a few years. Our friends picked us up and took us to the club. It is only a couple of miles from our home. We were also meeting another couple at the course. When we pulled into the parking lot and opened our trunk, a swarm of guys came over to our vehicle. At this course, everyone must have a caddy and they were ready. Bob and our friend went into the club house to register. We were very fortunate to be able to use some "free" passes. At Malanquin, they do not accept tee times, it is on a first come first serve basis. We didn't have to wait too long before we played. Since there were six of us, the ladies played together and the men followed behind. I walked the course with my caddy. This was a first for me. It is a long course (5373 yards for the ladies), 6400 feet altitude, haven't played in over 15 months, 80F and sunny(no humidity)...what was I thinking? I loved it!! I really enjoyed myself and my caddy, Markerio. He was very helpful. After two holes, he knew exactly what club I needed. It was amazing because I didn't even know what club I should be using. I think I had my best round in ages. The first nine I shot a 51 and the second nine a 56. I have to admit that the last two holes were challenging because I was getting tired. For all of my Michigan friends...yes, I did have a snowman...just for you guys!! And, I had one par, a couple of long putts, and one chip in with my mano-wedge...gotta love that club. I am definitely looking forward to playing again. And for Bob, he also walked with his caddy and had a great day. He didn't keep score but enjoyed the fellowship and beautiful surroundings. After golf, we stopped into the club house for a drink. Sam asks, "What kind of wine do you have?" The waitress responds, "None." "OK, how about a gin and tonic with double lime?" "Ummm, we don't have any gin." "OK, how about a Margarita?" "Yes, of course!" So a Margarita it was...and it was good. When we got home we were both hungry since we didn't have lunch. So, we changed our clothes and we were off to see Juan Carlos at Baile Cafe. When we walked in we got a very warm welcome and they wondered where we had been since they hadn't seen us in about 10 days. We had a nice dinner and was home at a reasonable hour, went to bed and read our books. It indeed was a wonderful day in San Miguel. We love it here.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome day! So happy you are living your dream in beautiful San Miguel de Allende.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen...the same to you and Jimmy. We are so happy that you have found peace. Perhaps one day we can share each others new homes.

    ReplyDelete