Monday, June 21, 2010

HAS ANYONE EVER TAKEN YOU UNDER THEIR WING?



Do you often wonder where certain expressions come from?  Like..."Taking someone under their wing".  The other evening I looked out my kitchen window and saw a lonely female duck on the bank of the stream.  She was just sitting there all by herself...so I thought.  I got out my binoculars and saw that tucked under her wings were some babies.  I immediately grabbed my bread and my camera and walked down to the stream.  The mother duck was very nervous.  She had 11 babies under her wings protecting them.  I couldn't get close enough to feed them.  Mama jumped into the water and all the babies followed.  They swam up stream.  A little while later, she was back sitting in the same spot.  By this time, it was getting dark.  I was surprised that she hadn't left to find shelter for the night.  The next morning she was gone, and I haven't seen her since.  I hope she and her babies have found a nice home.  Perhaps they will visit again.  I will be waiting for them.

2 comments:

  1. How precious! We need more mom ducks in our human world. We all deserve to have a wing or give a wing when it is needed! - Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue...I am sure you have taken many people under your wings, especially your two beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete