Tuesday, October 26, 2010

HAWK EYES


Late yesterday afternoon Bob and I were outside waiting for the BBQ grill to heat up. I had just finished feeding 18 of my baby ducks. However, the ducks aren't babies anymore; they are full grown. We have about half male and half female ducks. It is very interesting to watch the colors develop from week to week on the males.


Shortly after the ducks ate, all of a sudden, they all flew rapidly and landed in the stream with a great big "swoosh". Bob watched them and then saw a big hawk swoosh into the water as well. The ducks were quacking loudly. The hawk flew on top of the bridge and sat there eyeing each one of the ducks.

I grabbed the camera and gave it to Bob. He started snapping pictures. We wanted to get as close as we could before the hawk flew away. We kept getting closer and closer. I was able to walk on the bridge towards the hawk. Bob was still taking photos. I got about 8 feet from the hawk before he took off. Bob wasn’t able to get me in the picture, and the picture of the hawk flying away was blurry. I still think this is a pretty good shot.

By the way, the hawk flew away and we didn’t see him return. Once again, the ducks beat the predator. Whose side are you on?

3 comments:

  1. Go Team Ducks! Gotta look out for the little guys and gals! There's plenty of field mice for that big dude! -Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. This hawk will need plenty of field mice to satisfy his hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This picture is awesome! I think this guy has an upscale appetite ..... Duck a l'Orange .... much more appealing than field mice or rodents. He'll be back, hope the ducks have a game plan in mind for spoiling his dinner menu .... I'm on their side :-)

    ReplyDelete