Wednesday, August 31, 2011

PRESERVING CORN'S SWEETNESS



One of the things that Bob and I discussed before coming to San Miguel was the possibility of missing certain foods.  Sweet corn was one of those foods.  I know I posted the other day about sampling a couple of kinds of local corn.  As I mentioned, the sweet corn was a winner hands down. 

Today we walked to the local tienda and purchased some local sweet corn.  I decided that I would blanch the corn, drop it in ice water, dry it, and put it in the freezer.  I have read that it will stay fresh tasting for up to 6 months.  We hope this works because it will certainly be great to have some good corn this winter.

It was so easy and simple.  Depending upon how much room is in the freezer, I may buy some more.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds good! Let me know how it turns out. I would like to make a sweet corn salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be awhile. We will continue to buy the fresh corn for as long as we can. Do you have a recipe for the sweet corn salsa that you can share? It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete