Saturday, September 26, 2009

ROASTED TOMATILLO CHILE SALSA

Sam's comments...67 days and counting!

Last week, I harvested much of my vegetable garden.  It is hard to believe it is the end of the growing season already in Michigan.  We planted the garden around the 20th of May...four months later it's all over...or perhaps just beginning.  The beginning part is deciding what to do with all the produce. 

Last year was the first time we planted a tomatillo plant.  The plant had all kinds of green wrappers all summer long...but we ended up with nothing!  This year we decided to give it another try.  Last week, I picked about 30 tomotillos.  I was so excited.  Now I had to decide what to do with them as I have never cooked with them before.  So, I checked some recipes on the Internet and found a Roasted Tomatillo Chile Salsa from Tyler Florence.  Looked easy enough to make so I tried it earlier this week and served it with Chicken Enchiladas to our friends for dinner.  I also made Stuffed Poblano Chilies (also from my garden) and a light, refreshing, and easy Key Lime Pie.  I had so much food left over that my neighbors were the benefactors of my leftovers.

Since I am new to this blogging...I'll have to learn to take some pictures to share with my readers.  So for now, I'll share with you the recipe for the tomatillo salsa.  I promise to share the other recipes soon.

ROASTED TOMATILLO CHILE SALSA (Tyler Florence)

1 pound tomatillos, husked
1 white onion, peeled and quartered
4 large garlic cloves
2 jalapenos
2 teaspoons ground cumin (I added more because we like this flavor)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1/2 lime, juiced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.   On a baking tray, roast tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalepenos for 15 to 17 minutes.  Transfer the roasted vegetables and any juices on the bottom of the tray to a food processor.  Add the cumin, salt, cilantro, and lime juice and pulse mixture until well combined but still chunky.

I used this as my base to make the Chicken Enchiladas.  Two days later, I made another batch of salsa and served it with tortilla chips...yummy.

Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. It all sounds delicious. You'll be ready to cook when you get to SMA.

    ReplyDelete