Monday, October 5, 2009

WOLFS AND TIGERS...OH MY

Sam's comments...58 days and counting!




Late this afternoon, Bob and I were fixing dinner when we heard a knock at our front door.  We went to the door and to our surprise, we found a wolf and a tiger!  It was actually Joey and Payton, two neighborhood boys with their moms.  They are part of the Cub Scout program, and they were selling popcorn to raise money for their troop.  Well, the last thing we really needed to purchase was more popcorn.  We still have popcorn from a few years ago when another boy in the neighborhood was selling it.  So, we asked the boys if we could make a donation to the troop instead of buying the popcorn.  Their eyes lit up, and they were very excited.  We don't think they really understand the value of money.

These two boys are very close to us.  We know the parents very well.  In fact, when we are in town, we see them a couple of times a month.  We BBQ together, swim together, drink wine together (parents not kids), etc.  The boys enjoy coming over to our home to play in our back yard and the stream.  They also call us Tia and Tio (aunt and uncle in Spanish).

After the boys left, I had to do some research on the Internet.  I was curious as to the difference in "Wolf" vs "Tiger".  I found that because Joey (on the left) is a second grader, he is a wolf; Payton (on the right) is a first grader, and he is a tiger.  I am sure this program will assist these boys in becoming fine young men.  They attend different "Den" meetings but attend the same "Pack" meetings.  I'm glad I'm not a parent, I would probably have my kid at the wrong place at the wrong time.  In case you were wondering, this program has the following 10 purposes:

1.    Character Development
2.    Spiritual Growth
3.    Good Citizenship
4.    Sportsmanship and Fitness
5.    Family Understanding
6.    Respectful Relationships
7.    Personal Achievement
8.    Friendly Service
9.    Fun and Adventure
10.  Preparation for Boy Scouts




As a side, I was a Blue Bird when I was in the first grade.  It was the junior version of the Camp Fire Girls.  I don't think either of these organizations exist today.

Ah yes, the good ole days!

No comments:

Post a Comment